Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pumpkin Beer?

I was at the grocery store and my wife spotted the Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale.  This is made by Blue Moon, which is really just part of Molson Coors.

I was pretty darn skeptical about pumpkin ale, but remembering my beer history, I decided to give this a try.  Some of you may know that pumpkin was a regular ingredient in the beers of colonial America.  Pumpkins were easier to grow than grains, so a lot of beer was made using pumpkin as a base.

I had expected this to taste something like a cross between a winter ale and pumpkin pie.  I was concerned that the pumpkin would overwhelm the taste of the ale.  I was wrong.

I couldn't even taste the pumpkin.  It just tasted like ale.  Maybe some of you have a more refined sense of taste than I do, but it didn't seem like there was any pumpkin at all.  It tasted like an average ale.

Now I'm not going to go so far as throwing out the rest of the six-pack, but I probably won't buy this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment